Are you new to cloth diapers and wondering whether you should go with covers OR pocket diapers? Before investing in one system, learn all about the two most popular cloth diapering systems.
Why Cloth Diapers?
You may be an expecting parent who recently came upon the topic of cloth diapers. And you may be thinking, “Why would I ever chose cloth diapers? That must be so gross?!”.
But boy do first impressions sometimes mislead us!
I have cloth diapered for over a year now with my first child and plan on continuing it with my second child, who is due soon!
So let me talk from experience, cloth diapering is really much easier and not as gross as you think it may be!
And plus there are many added benefits to cloth diapering like:
- Cost – it is much more affordable than disposable diapers
- Ecofriendly – if you are looking for something that is both good to your wallet and the planet, then look no further
- Easy Potty Training Transition – cloth diapers allow your child to know more easily when they are “wet”
- Long Life Span – cloth diapers can last for multiple pregnancies furthering the cost savings
- Nontoxic – whereas conventional diapers are full of many toxic chemicals, cloth diapers are a safer alternative
Covers & Prefolds
- Most inexpensive route
- More minimalist approach
- Covers can be used multiple times before becoming soiled
- Makes for a smaller diaper bag
- Covers can have a dual purpose in that they can be make-shift swim diapers
- Options for double leg gussets to hold in “blow-outs”
- More difficult for spouses/in-laws/etc. to learn to use
- More difficult for daycares/sitters to use
- Usually bought in specific sizes not many one-size options
- Can be difficult to fit many layers underneath for extra absorbency if cover is tightly fitted
- Use once and put it into wash bag – don’t have to deal with trying to use it a second time
- Easier for everyone to learn how to use
- Can stuff as much as you want into the pocket for extra absorbency
- Usually come in one-size options that can fit your child through potty training!
- Come in adorable colors and patterns (can by gender-neutral colors too for multiple pregnancies)
- More expensive than covers and prefolds route
- Extra time spent stuffing diapers (not that bad! LOL!)
- Bulkier diaper bag
- Usually no option for double leg gussets to hold in “blow outs”
My Opinion on Cloth Diapers
So which do I like better?
Well, to be honest, neither because in my household they both have their purpose.
Let me elaborate! I love covers and prefolds for when they are tiny little newborns because you can get them to fit better!
But I love pocket diapers for once they are a little bigger because they will fit all the way through potty training!
Instead of having to use disposables when you’re little one is too tiny for the one-size cloth diapers, just buy a few inexpensive newborn covers and inserts and you will be set for the entire newborn phase!
Even armed with various newborn hacks for one-size cloth diapers, you still may find that your pocket diaper fits a little “funny”. So I think it’s best to get the best-fitting option right up front and invest in newborn covers! I recommend at least five covers and 24 Prefolds to get you through!
And when it comes time to size up to pocket diapers, I recommend Nora’s Nursery. They are a one-size fits all pocket diaper and they come in neutral colors, which can be good for multiple pregnancies! Nora’s Nursery pocket diapers are also pretty affordable for. the per pocket price. Another added bonus of Nora’s Nursery diapers are that they come with bamboo inserts instead of your typical microfiber insert that come with most pocket diaper brands! Bamboo is more absorbent and usually you would have to buy these inserts separately with other brands, but this is not the case when it comes to Nora’s Nursery!